Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance) 2019.
This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of Good Governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life. Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country.
The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholarship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences. In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should qualify the scholarship holders to become partners in the political and economic co-operation with Germany. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions. As one of only eight institutions of higher learning in Germany, the University of Passau has been a proud member of the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme network since 2010.
The scholarship programme is open to graduates from Africa, Central and Latin America, Asia, from countries in the Middle East as well as from the Ukraine who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
Apart from an at least upper second level bachelor degree in the field of social sciences, political science, law, economics and in public administration, there are certain other formal prerequisites for applying successfully. Scholarships can only be granted to applicants from selected countries.
Moreover, graduates that have been living in Germany for more than 15 months prior to application and applicants who graduated from their home university more than six years ago, are normally not eligible for a Helmut-Schmidt-Programme scholarship. Exceptions can only be made under very strict circumstances. Previous working experiences in the field of public administration, civil society etc. definitely increase your chances to be awarded a scholarship!
In case your application is successful, you will be enrolled as a regular student of our two-year master programme “Governance and Public Policy” at the University of Passau!
How to apply?
Applying might seem simple at first glance. But you have to pay attention to your application files to be complete and valid. Therefore, please have a look at our application manual before you upload your files to our application portal.
Before you apply via our application portal please prepare the following documents and save them as PDF files:
- DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships (only electronically editing possible),
- a hand-signed letter of motivation with current date containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic/professional and personal reasons for choosing this scholarship programme and the universities with a maximum of 2 pages,
- a hand signed complete CV with current date including information about the applicant’s precise field of study and, if applicable, description of job experience,
- electronic copies of university diplomas on officially headed paper (an explanation of the grading system has to be attached),
- electronic copies of your transcript(s) of records on officially headed paper,
- electronic copies of the school leaving certificate/High School diploma which entitles holders to study at a university in their home country
- electronic copies of of a language certificate, testifying your English languageskills equivalent to at least B2 level of the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). In case the general medium of instruction at your previous university was English it is sufficient to attach a confirmation of your university on officially headed paper. We do not accept certificates issued more than two years ago,
- if available, electronic copies of a language certificate, testifying your German language skills on officially headed paper,
- one letter of recommendation, signed and recently dated by your university professor or current employer, supplemented by an official letterhead, and stamp.
Please submit only legible copies of your documents. Please consider that illegible documents can lead to a formal rejection.
In case your application is sent to more than two universities or if nonspecific priorities are given your application will not be accepted.
Documents that are not originally in the English or German language have to be handed in with an official English or German translation. Please prepare all documents and follow the instructions on our application portal.
Please note, because of the vast number of applications we receive each year, only complete and formally correct applications that reach us within the given time frame will be considered for a scholarship.
We also have to dutifully point out the fact that any kind of forgery within your application, e. g. forged diplomas, applying for more than two Helmut-Schmidt-Programme universities in Germany at the same time etc., will lead to an immediate expulsion from the application process.
After careful evaluation of your application by our staff, a joint committee of DAAD representatives and members of the Passau Helmut-Schmidt-Programme team will meet in late autumn/early winter 2019 to pick the scholarship holders for the winter 2020/2021 academic session. You will be notified about the result of your application by mid-December 2019 at the latest.
From 1 April 2020 onwards, you will attend a six-months language intensive course in Germany before commencing your studies at the University of Passau in October 2020. In addition to that, we will organise a welcome event for the new Helmut-Schmidt-Programme cohort in summer 2020.